Tuesday, October 17, 2023

William Wilson/Mr. Pelham

 

Scene from "The Case of Mr. Pelham"
"
It's usually considered bad luck to encounter your double, or your doppelgänger as they say in German. Unless, that is, you have an identical twin! The belief that it's unfortunate goes back at least to the Romantic era of the late 1790's and early 1800's, and is associated with many of its leading writers, and indeed Mary Shelley's creature in Frankenstein (1818) may in some ways be seen as Victor Frankenstein's monstrous double. Edgar Allan Poe took up the idea in his short story "William Wilson" (1839), which is also the only one of his stories to be set in his own childhood, at a school he attended in Stoke Newington, outside London. Dostoyevsy's The Double (1866) builds further on this, making his character's double as extroverted and gregarious as the original is timid and shy. And of course even Stevenson's classic Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is such a tale, though the "hook" here is that they are, in fact, the same man.

But it's with film, and especially television, that the idea of doubles really takes off; through the technique of masking, it's actually quite easy to put two separate images of the same actor on the same screen. Alfred Hitchcock had great fun with the idea in "The Case of Mr. Pelham" (1955, shown above), and the concept took a comedic turn with the "identical cousins" of the Patty Duke Show. Horror master David Cronenberg elevated the story to new heights in his Dead Ringers (1988), a tale of twin Canadian gynecologists, both played by Jeremy Irons, which is -- almost unbelievebaly! -- based on a true story. And of course the much-awaited "third season" of David Lynch's Twin Peaks revolved almost entirely around the idea, with "good" Cooper -- trapped for a time in the life of "Dougie Jones" -- battles with the bad one. Lynch prefers the term tulpa -- but it comes down to much the same thing, and person.

So give us your thoughts on this story -- and, as with our earlier posts, feel free to make use of these discussion questions (you need only answer one) if you like.

15 comments:

  1. 2. I think that the other William spoke in a whisper because he was never real, he was more like his imagination that tell him things that are wrong or right in his life. Mostly, he like the voices in his head that tells him things. When you put your thoughts to it, it was like his Doppelgänger was only there to look out for him. It was weird at first for me because there is one can whisper as an echo as his voice, and the original one is normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that the other William could only speak in a whisper because he wasnt really allowed to speak representing the voices in his head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2. I really liked this short story. William Wilson was a doppelgänger, and it was interesting how Edgar Allen Poe represented this story. He put both Wilson's in the same school, on the same day, with the same name, and even physically looking like one another. I liked how Poe added one difference, which were their voices. Their voices represented how they were different. I think he made it this way to show how one of the doppelgängers had an alter ego, showed that he was someone else's shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2. The characterization of the spilt personally of the narrative, or as he refer to himself (William Wilson), is characterizing the other persona of himself. At the same time, he does not make the connection between any similarities. This whisper also shows how everything spoken by the alternate persona is in a softer voice, which indicated that it is most likely in his head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've a elder sister who was born by my mother but different father. I never see her until I was 45. I felt weird when I see something in common with us from her. I wish her luck in somewhere of this world. I'll never see it as "It's usually considered bad luck to encounter your double, or your doppelgänger as they say in German"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a supplement. We don't have interest conflict. If so, that would probably like in the movie.

      Delete
  6. I liked this story. It reminded me of the shadow a lot. In this one and in the shadow the real versions of themselves are kinda beat down and not living there best life. They also always seem to find there way back to each other. It's kinda like a torment to them both. The doppelgängers always seem to be there in the back of their minds and will show up again. Emily Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this story , it really highlighted the fact that we must break our daily habits and break out of our “norms “. If he wasn’t such a predictable person maybe he wouldn’t have been so easy to “clone “ . Instead of changing his internal characteristics , he instead chose to change physical things that don’t really matter .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy Freestone- I liked the case of Mr. Pelham and found to to be funny. Although it did make me wonder how do we know the ''real'' Mr. Pelham is really the real one! We could be seeing the story from one side but what if he's actually just crazy and thought he was someone else who he resembles. For all we know maybe the real Mr. Pelham would never ever buy a crazy tie even if someone was trying to be like him haha. When it comes down to it, I don't think that is the case but it's fun to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy Freestone- William Wilson Question 3. Yes, I think it is. Well, maybe not a confession because he just made mistakes and doesn't really need to "confess" to anyone but confront it with himself and telling us he did what he did. I always find it interesting that the stories humans write is actually related to them in some way; they put hints in about their own life. It's a way of being creative and telling you're story between the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually really liked this story, it may be one of my favorites. It was interesting to look back and think about why Poe made the decisions he did, such as placing both characters in the same setting with just a slight difference. It seems as though this story outlines social expectations with trying to change outward appearances instead of doing the work within, and fear stands in the way of success.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The other William Wilson can only speak in a whisper as they are at a rivalry with each other. “His singular whisper, it grew the very echo of my own.” Whispering shows that he is not the main voice, but they are the same. They both have the same name and go to the same school ,which emphasizes the similarity between both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 2. The ability of the "other" William Wilson to speak in a whisper is a literary device used by Poe. It is used to symbolize secrecy, deception, and the hidden nature of the protagonist's inner conflict. I think the whispering voice is used to show the inner voice or maybe conscience of the protagonist, it is reminding him of his misdeeds. -Prescilla Da Fonseca

    ReplyDelete
  13. This shows a similarity to the shadows the story on how the shadow tried to take over the orignal making him the shadow. While in this film Williams trying to prove himself having to do out of the ordinary things, he struggles but eventually you can slightly tell the difference in which is the real Willliam.

    ReplyDelete