Thursday, October 26, 2023

Invasion of the Body Snatchers/"The Beautiful Stranger"

In a way, it's a nightmare as old as humanity: what if we, or the ones we love, turned out to be imposters? How would we know? What would we do? And who would believe us if we told them?

Although billed as science fiction, most of the real drama of 1953's Invasion of the Body Snatchers is psychological. It opens on an almost bucolic note, as suburban doctor Miles Bennell (Kevin McCarthy) returns from a medical conference and is picked up from the train station by his office nurse. Everything is fine, she says, except for a few strange complaints: Dr. Bennell's once and future flame Becky (Dana Wynter) has one. It seems her cousin Wilma Lentz is convinced that her Uncle Ira isn't really Uncle Ira. When the Doc visits, though, Ira seems his usual, pipe-smoking, grumbly self, by Wilma is unappeased; "There's something missing," she insists, "there's no emotion ... just the pretense of it." Miles does his best to reassure her, but between this and the rest of his patients -- many of whom, though seemingly anxious to see him while he was way, have cancelled their appointments.

Of course, it takes a while for him to realize that people are being replaced by pods placed by aliens in their basements, pods which -- as they mature -- take on the exact form and personality of the people they are to replace, only minus any genuine emotion or personality.

Dr. Bennell eventually regrets his initial failure to realize what's gone wrong -- in the frame narrative (added to the film after audiences found the original, uncertain ending too frustrating) he's explaining his story to an initially skeptical psychiatrist. At one point, in a voiceover, he muses that, as a doctor, he was quite used to people losing their individuality over time, just not so many or so quickly:
In my practice, I've seen how people have allowed their humanity to drain away. Only it happened slowly instead of all at once. They didn't seem to mind... All of us - a little bit - we harden our hearts, grow callous. Only when we have to fight to stay human do we realize how precious it is to us, how dear.
It's this prescient awareness of the 1950's unawareness of itself that has endeared the film to later fans, and has given rise to the phrase "pod people" being applied to social conformists. The 1978 remake with Donald Sutherland in the lead role (and in which McCarthy has a brief but memorable cameo) is also worth seeing, for the same reasons.

With "The Beautiful Stranger," Shirley Jackson proposes a different kind of sudden replacement: for the young woman in this story, things seem to be going well enough, though her husband is hardly the sensitive, supportive type. But once the "beautiful stranger" arrives, we find ourselves sharing in an unexpected and volatile exuberance -- could this be true? There are some shades of another story, The Return of Martin Guerre, an 1982 film based on a far earlier event of a war veteran's unexpected return -- a double one, in fact. Indeed, after enough time, how do we know that a long-lost loved one is in fact the same one we loved so long ago? Jackson's trick here is that it has not, in fact, been "so long" -- in fact, it's only just been yesterday. In a way, it's also an inverse version of Body Snatchers, the sort of snatching that gives a soulless person a soul -- and yet it somehow unhinges the main character, sending her into a strange world where she almost no longer seems ... herself!

17 comments:

  1. Alex Lema
    I find the beautiful stranger quite strange but intriguing in how the narrator would rather accept the fact that her husband, having just returned from a trip, is an imposter than accept the fact that h4 may just be trying to be nicer to her. Having left on a sour note before the trip, she has not evaluated her feelings toward him properly while her husband seemed to decide amongst himself that he will appreciate and treat his wife better upon his return. Her paranoia around her husbands replacement grows until she experiences a mental break, losing her way and her husband and home both seem foreign to her by the end. psychological horror/thriller stories like this have always been the most powerful to me because human understanding on our experiences can so easily affected by ones sanity. Realistic, practical rational can be so easily thrown out of the window when we perceive strange or unique situations as supernatural and paranormal because of a lack of recognition and full understanding. Which warrants the question on which is scarier, actual supernatural/paranormal creatures or ones own unstable mind/potental insanity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is a very interesting way to interpret the story. I like your thinking the led you to the last question. I think you have a great point that one's sanity and psychological thoughts can be more scary than the supernatural because the human mind can be capable of a lot of unexpected and terrifying things.

      Delete
  2. Throughout the story, I began to feel like this isn’t a horror story at all. It was more eye opening than scary to me because even though she thinks that her husband is actually a stranger and not her husband, it doesn’t mean that is completely true. He is nicer to her and becomes a better husband which she doesn’t believe could be real and she is starting to see things about him that she isn’t used to. I personally believe that she doesn’t recognize the man in front of her because she has formed new opinions and feelings towards him which contradicts how she felt before. He may not be a different man or a stranger, she might have just gained a different mind set and is concerned that her perception of him is completely different now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I initially thought about the story was that the wife was once connected/intrigued to the man she once knew but as time went by he turned into a completely different person that she was unrecognizable to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While watching this movie, I also did not find it scary at all. I thought that it was very interesting that one night, the wife can fall asleep, and then in the morning wake up next to someone who she has never met. I actually found it a little sad because when the Alien took over the humans body, he was just gone forever. As explained, the human turned into "dust". The wife woke up to a whole new person, little did she know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think the movie was horror based but the plot of it became from intriguing to watch. Some people believe that their relatives are not, in fact, their relatives, even if this is objectively proven. When Miles' buddy Jack Belicec discovers an unformed, motionless body in his home that subsequently vanishes, things get increasingly suspect. Overall, the excitement, mystery, and danger of the picture are skillfully conveyed by its manner. The town is first shown in serene suburban tableaus, accompanied by subdued music that emphasizes the scene. In certain scenes, such as the initial examination of the body in Jack's den, the music appears exaggerated, yet in other parts it fits well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This concept of a replicated version of someone is super crazy.
    While watching I began to ask myself if I would even notice that this person is a replica. I would imagine that I would just think the person is improving on themselves . I would never even think they were some supernatural copy of themselves .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked The Beautiful Stranger. The woman is unhappy at the beginning of the story with her life and with her husband. She isn't excited for his return. After she realizes that this man isn't her husband or that she doesn't recognize this man that has come home, she can't help but like him. She sees this change that she wouldn't see in her husband and feels so much lighter and happier. I think it makes her guilty by the end that she likes this stranger more than the man she married and had children with but I think she needs to just accept it and embrace it. This is what she wanted. She wanted a change from her normal routine and her husband who treated her poorly. I honestly feel happy for her. - Emily Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this quotation "In my practice I've seen how people have allowed their humanity to drain away. Only it happened slowly instead of all at once. They didn't seem to mind... All of us - a little bit - we harden our hearts, grow callous. Only when we have to fight to stay human do we realize how precious it is to us, how dear." I've got similar feelings recently. English is not my first language, but I can feel that all the humanity in this world are same which we are expending it /(fighting for).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed viewing this movie however I would have hoped for a better ending. It reminded me of the SpongeBob episode where he turned "normal" and then they all looked alike and no one had any particular differences that made them unique. I believe this movie was meant to open the eyes of the viewer in regards to the gift of life that we have and how we are all made different. A town that consists of people with no emotions and just a will to live is not one that I would enjoy. Being able to feel angry, fear, love, or joy is something we don't think we will ever go without so the stripping of that in this movie really gives you a reason to think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The beautiful stranger was an interesting story as she at first was unsure about the stranger and the information he was providing her. It was odd to see the difficulty in Margaret accepting who the man in front of her was, and then her accepting happiness and embracing this new stranger. There is a comparison to every object that was used and built by her husband and then those objects “welcoming a stranger with grace.” She begins to open up and accept this stranger, which brings up the idea of growing from others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prescilla Da FonsecaNovember 30, 2023 at 1:06 PM

    I enjoyed this movie a lot I liked the build-up of suspense and the sense of paranoia. It most definitely kept me engaged and on edge the whole time. - Prescilla da fonseca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not really the biggest fan of movies, I can't really sit through them but the build-up kept me around. I kept wanting to know what was next. My only thing is, I find it weird that she woke up next to a random person and accepted it for what it was and opened herself up to it. I don't know maybe I am just missing the bigger picture but it was a great plot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a story about an entire community being replaced with clones who are emotionless. On one hand the story can be seen as a creepy Government experiment taking place, but I like to think of the story as an interpretation of our society where we are all being manipulated into becoming emotionless, predictable, and easy to control.
    -Christopher McCarthy

    ReplyDelete
  14. When it comes down to the film it's kinda weird but also interesting because figuratively you could wake up to whole another person your not use to, but in this case It's legit an alien but nicer than the actual husband. Knowing the change she knew but just let it continue because she just wanted to be happy but losing her husband too sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Invasion of the Body Snatchers - I thought this film was pretty cool. Interesting to think about something creating another version of you to take over your life. For all we know this could have happened in the world generations ago and we are all the aliens kids of the ones who took over. How would we ever know and it could happen again. Just an endless cycle of a secret group trying to create better versions to improve society.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Beautiful Stranger - I felt like the ending to this story could have been better the story does make people think about having a better version of someone. We all know (or knew at one time) someone who we were close to but they were toxic. When a person is attached they don't want to let go and wish certain things about that toxic person would change. They want the same idea of that person in a nicer way. That was what the main character had gotten except its not real. It is a reminder no matter how much you love someone they are who they are so they won't change and there isn't gonna be an identical person to take there place. let go and be happy. This story is a women realizing she doesn't want to be treated poorly anymore and she can't live in a fantasy world pretending. I also feel like she grew so far apart with her husband that the real one might as well be a stranger anyways. Does she really know him anymore if he makes her unhappy? Both Johns are strangers to her.

    ReplyDelete