Tuesday, November 14, 2023

The Haunting of Hill House

Laura Miller, in her recent introduction to a new edition of the book, describes it as "setting a trap" -- both for its main character, Eleanor Vance, and for its reader. The trap is an improved version of the old "Poe" model: get your reader into the head of the protagonist, and once they're there, you can lure them into the deepest and darkest places, and they'll have nowhere else to go!

But it's also more than just a trap. Eleanor is a a curious sort of person -- somewhat reticent, shy, and inwardly turned -- indeed, she could very well fit the profile of many members of today's Gen-X and Gen-Y generations. She's also been victimized by a bossy sister, and saddled with the care of their aging, ailing mother.  In part as a result, she's had very little social contact outside the family; when she receives the invitation from Dr. Montague, the most significant thing about it is that it's an actual invitation -- and now, she's "expected" somewhere. Whether Hill House is haunted or cursed or just old and creepy matters not; what matters is that it's a house, a house where she's wanted, expected, and in which she belongs.

Which of course makes her the perfect central character for a horror novel.

According to an account by Paula Guran, Jackson had decided to write "a ghost story" after reading about a group of nineteenth-century "psychic researchers" who studied a house and somberly reported their supposedly scientific findings to the Society for Psychic Research. What she discovered in their "dry reports was not the story of a haunted house, it was the story of several earnest, I believe misguided, certainly determined people, with their differing motivations and background." Excited by the prospect of creating her own haunted house and the characters to explore it, she launched into research. She later claimed to have found a picture of a California house she believed was suitably haunted-looking in a magazine. She asked her mother, who lived in California, to help find information about the dwelling. According to Jackson, her mother identified the house as one the author's own great-great-grandfather, an architect who had designed some of San Francisco's oldest buildings, had built. Jackson also read volume upon volume of traditional ghost stories while preparing to write her own, "No one can get into a novel about a haunted house without hitting the subject of reality head-on; either I have to believe in ghosts, which I do, or I have to write another kind of novel altogether."

So, do you believe in ghosts? Does one need to, in order be enthralled by a tale that includes them? And as to houses, perhaps you know a haunted-looking one in your neighborhood. In your comments, let your fellow students know what views you had before -- and after -- entering Hill House; if you like, you can make use of these discussion questions, which are keyed to the first half of the novel.

12 comments:

  1. Alex Lema
    I have never truly believed in ghost but have never gone out of my way to deny those who do. I can only really believe in something that have some form of proof and tend to belief that ghosts in most instances are a result of peoples own sanity causing hallucinations. Overall, the intrigue of the Haunting of Hill house is not from the supernatural or ghostly appearances but at the fear of the fark and fear of being alone. Even with assurance of ghosts not being able to harm the physical realm but can disturb it, the fear of them alone can cause enough damage to one mental well being to cause irrational thoughts and actions. This book convinces me of ghosts just about as well as the over-the-top tv show ghost adventures with Zak Bagans, which is tragically not very well. What interested me most of this tory is Eleanor and Theodora's seeming draw towards each other. I am inclined to believe, either intentional or not, Eleanor may be a queer-coded character who's reclusive personality has found an attraction to Theodora's warm and quirkiness. It is especially compelling when Theodora kind of turns on her and accuses her of attention-seeking and blames all the fear they face from ghosts on her supposed ruse or scheme. Despite this Eleanor still tries to attach herself onto Theodora before she meets her end in a similar way to the previous house keeper and caretaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe the paranormal, and I believe that our energy continues on after death, and sometimes our souls get trapped here on earth. I think there is such a thing as positive energy and negative energies, that's where you have just like spirit of the house versus a poltergeist. I come from a very spiritual family I was brought up around that stuff so when it comes to lake hunting and ghost stories, I always want to believe it and I know that's not the case for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am half and half about paranormal energy, yes I do think it is true that there are souls trapped on earth but I never understood how they get stuck here. My mother would always say "unfinished business", but I still never grasped onto that. I sometimes refer to the bible for this matter, but I also think this is all too much for me confront. I don't know maybe I am not able to handle the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. It seems to be stating that all living things need dreams in order to deal with reality; if a living thing doesn't dream, which means it experiences reality as it is that is, without any illusions, fancies, or dreams that living thing will become insane. The house is personified as a living entity since the narrator describes it as "not sane." As a result, everyone who enters the mansion faces the horrors of total reality and is ultimately driven insane. I think the opening paragraph clearly refers to Hill House as being alive. She is saying if we are confronted with the true harshness of life, unmitigated by the protective stories we tell ourselves, we cannot handle it.
    - Jamie Chaca

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my opinion, I do not believe in paranormal things, to an extent. I do believe that there are souls that could communicate with us sometimes and bring out meaning in certain situations. In the story, the cup of stars meant something special to Eleanor and also the readers. I believe the stars signify Eleanors ability to be on her own, and eventually become her own self. And to also do things without everyones blessings, in this case, her mom. I think this can relate to the readers because we all have a time in our life where we have to grow up and be alone, and to also make decisions for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe that a home has a conscious to people because me make so many memories in our homes. We not only make good memories but also traumatic or bad ones. For example if you find out bad news in a specific room you might choose to avoid it because it brings you back to that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily Johnson
    As a child I believed in ghosts after watching paranormal activities. Mainly because I was told it was a true story and I was highly gullible. I think now I stopped believing in them because I have no proof. I need proof to believe anything now. After starting the story I still don't believe. It doesn't change my view in anyway. I find that movies and stories about ghosts are entertainment. They are make believe to me like any other made up fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prescilla Da FonsecaDecember 1, 2023 at 1:23 PM

    1. No, a house cannot have a consciousness. Consciousness requires a form of cognitive processing, awareness, and the ability to experience perceptions, which a non-living structure like a house does not possess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prescilla Da FonsecaDecember 1, 2023 at 1:25 PM

      as for believing in paranormal things I most certainly do believe in all things paranormal.-Prescilla da fonseca

      Delete
  9. Q1: Consider the first sentence of "the haunting of Hill House", "No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." Do you believe that a house can have a form of consciousness?" How might that be perceived, or what effect might it have, on its inhabitants?
    When I was little, my mom always tell us there's god (spirit) in some parts of house. I.e. We can't step on the frame of the door when we pass it. We can't shut the door heavily. If we inadvertently did it unconsciously we felt something bad will happen, like we would probably trip our feet, or hit our head.. When we do the ritual at home to thanks god (the lord of our religion) on each festivals (at least three times a year), we prepare tribute (usually good foods we don't eat every day). We also pray to 地基主 (the god of this place) at the same time right after we pray to the god mentioned above. You can see how important of (the god of this place you stand). Since I was taught like this. I believe there's certain spirit of a house we need to respect. Even if scientist tells you and prove you there's not such stuff. It always good to keep a respect heart to treat the place you live. You will feel comfortable too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cup of stars I think represents the little girl's true self, her imagination, and her dreams of what she truly wants to be. Once she loses this grasp on herself and these real aspirations she will become just like everybody else. I think this quote has touched so many readers because we can all relate to having our own cup of stars, but unfortunately a lot of us have allowed ours to be emptied and forgotten.
    Christopher McCarthy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know if I believe in ghost but I do believe that energy can be left behind after we die. The house could just have residual energy left inside causing doors to open and other things to happen. However, Shirley Jackson does not believe in ghosts at all according to statements she had made. I think it is all symbolic meanings to her studies is witchery and tarot cards. The cup of stars is related to the suit of cups in tarot. The cups in the deck are related to emotional levels of consciousness and are associated with love, feelings, relationships and connections. Which the main character has conflicts with each.

    Also I live in North Stonington CT - pretty much a small house in a wooded area. Everyone who comes over says it would make a good scary movie but besides that there is a farm down the road from me with an abandoned house on the property. And another down the road from that! Both of them look abused and forgotten with a -for sure- spooky aura.

    ReplyDelete